Sunday, April 14, 2013

The rules...

Based on all of the research I've been doing on Multiple Sclerosis, these are the rules I've found for slowing disease progression and feeling great. 
No meat, no poultry, no dairy, no saturated fat, limited sugar, limited caffeine, no smoking, exercise at least 5 days a week, take vitamin D plus 22 other supplements and follow a strict and ever so complicated regime of homeopathy. UGHHHHH
Okay, ummmm, what's left?  I can find no dairy but it has saturated fat.  I can find no saturated fat but it has dairy.  I can find no dairy and no saturated fat but dammit, there's too much sugar.  I have created about 6 meals that actually follow these guidelines.  I am now bored of them and very, very hungry.  On the positive side, I've lost 5 pounds.
Granted, I'm new to this.  I know others have adapted to this lifestyle and are incredibly healthy.  I see pics plastered on assorted web pages of 70 year olds with multiple sclerosis doing cartwheels and running marathons.  I, however, am really missing steak. 
Now, caffeine, this was a biggie for me.  I used to drink, well, probably 6-8 coffees a day.  There is a Starbucks in my workplace.  I get up at 4am, I work 10-12 hours and commute for about 2 more on top of that.  I survived on tall lattes.  I am proud to say I now have 2 soy lattes per day and sometimes a black coffee.  I know, I know, 3 a day is still way too much but I'm trying okay?
Exercise, okay.  This one I want to do.  This one I miss.  This one I loved.  Problem is, the weights I used to lift seemed to have doubled in heaviness.  I get hot and then get sick, really sick.  I get so....damn...tired.  I am trying to do Yoga again, it's not as hot or heavy.  The only problem with this one is that I have the balance of someone with a blood alcohol volume that's WAY over the limit.  Yoga now makes me giggle at myself.  I guess that's not so bad though.
Supplements and homeopathy.  These are a blog all their own.  I am not ready to post on these yet because I don't fully understand them and have seen the hellfire rage that is thrown on-line towards those who make the mistake of posting any untrue, mis-educated or non-factual statement regarding either of these subjects.  So for now, I'll hold off on this one.
Note - I did not mention smoking....I have my reasons.
So, that's all I have to ramble about today.  I would be really happy to hear from anyone who has a great recipe idea that falls into the above mentioned rules or any other advice they may have to help me find some kind of fun in all of this.

I have to go now - I have a delicious vegie dog straight off the bbq and some soy crisps to eat...YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment