Monday, August 5, 2013

Is this a relapse or not?

I find it hard to know if something is a true relapse or just another strange blip in this unpredictable disease.  I often can tell one's coming because without any specific symptoms, I generally feel crappy.  I feel more lightheaded than normal, more tired than normal, crankier than normal (if that's even possible lately).

I'm pretty new to this thing though and still never know for sure.  I'm supposed to call my neuro with every relapse so he can track my 'disease progress' but I don't want to call for stupid things or no reason.  I don't want to be that annoying patient.

So for the last 2 weeks I have been trying to decide exactly what the hell is going on.  I have a new symptom...at least I think it's a symptom.  I have had painful goosebumps from the knee down to my ankle in my right leg only.  They come and go every few minutes and they hurt!  Along with that I had about 3 days straight of this electric crawling again from the knee down in the same leg that just made me want to rip my own leg off.  I also had the lovely return of the tightness around my shoulders and throat and my right arm full of pins and needles off and on.  I guess this is a relapse?

From what I understand, a relapse is something that occurs and lasts for at least 24 hours.  They have to be at least 4 weeks apart.  They do not always incorporate a new symptom, they may ONLY be a new symptom, or they may be a blend of many existing symptoms and additionally a new one.  It had only been 5 weeks since my last one finished when this began.

I guess it does sound like a relapse...but goosebumps?  Really?  I've never had them in only one part of my body, I've never had them when I'm not cold or emotional, so I guess it could have to do with my broken brain. 

Does anyone else have relapses this often?  I guess I should be thankful that they only last for a couple of weeks but I'm really scared by how often they seem to be coming now...if that's what these are.

Fingers crossed I'm just crazy because more relapses would mean more lesions and that's only the ones I would know about.  From what I've researched, you can develop new lesions in more 'silent' parts of your brain and not even be aware it's happened.  That makes me seriously concerned about what they may find on my next MRI, whenever that will be.

Well, I see my neuro at the end of the month so I guess I just wait until then.

I don't think there is actually anyone out there reading these posts, but on the off chance there is...

Talk soon

No comments:

Post a Comment